Subscriber Demographics & Readership
Almost all of BNC subscribers have subscribed to the magazine for three or more years. They're loyal readers because they know the magazine's first loyalty is to them. Readers trust what they're getting will be both valuable and entertaining. And the time they spend with the magazine each month means maximum exposure for your advertising.
As a result of reading Business North Carolina:
- 69% regularly read the advertising.
- 72% visited the website of an advertiser.
The typical BNC subscriber...
- ...has subscribed for eight years.
- ...routes the magazine to two people.
- ...refers to each issue three different times.
- ...spends approximately 50 minutes reading each issue.
- 95% have read the last three of four issues.
- 86% have read each of the last four issues.
- 62% read BNC at home.
- ...keeps his/her issue of BNC for an average of three months.
Actions speak louder than words
Independent surveys conducted by Raleigh-based Lewis & Clark Research show an average of 3 people read each copy of BNC. Based on audited circulation figures, the magazine has an effective reading audience each month of almost 90,000 key business leaders across North Carolina. And when they see something that appeals to them advertised in the pages of the magazine, they take action.
Percentage of subscribers who regularly read:
- The Wall Street Journal...36%
- Business Week...20%
- The News & Observer of Raleigh...23%
- The Charlotte Observer...18%
- Charlotte Business Journal...12%
- Triangle Business Journal...12%
- Triad Business Journal...10%
- News & Record of Greensboro...7%
BNC subscriber profile:
- Gender: Male 88%, Female 12%
- Betweeen the ages of 35 - 64: 54%
- Married: 89%
- Average household income: $183,000
- Average net worth: $1,670,000
- Millionaires: 46%
- Bachelor's or advanced degrees: 85%
- Own or co-own their company: 44%
BNC subscriber occupational category:
- Top management: 44%
- Middle management: 15%
- Professional / technical*: 29%
- Others in business: 12%
BNC education level:
- Attended college: 98%
- Graduated from a four-year college or university: 85%
- Master's degree: 27%
- Doctoral degree: 9%
Number of employees in company:
- Fewer than 50: 53%
- 50-99: 7%
- 100-499: 12%
- 500 or more: 28%
- The typical subscriber holds a portfolio worth $1.09M and averages 9.8 investment transactions per year.
- 80% invest in stocks or mutual funds.
- 78% regularly invest for retirement in an IRA, Keogh or 401(k) plan.
- 66% has a financial advisor.
- Average home value is $377,000.
- Average value of other real estate holdings is $654,700.
- Consider investing in real estate or vacation real estate in the next two years: 22%
Annual revenue of subscribers’ companies:
- Less than $3 million: 49%
- $3 million-$9.9 million: 12%
- $10 million-$99.9 million: 16%
- $100 million-$999.9 million: 11%
- $1 billion or more: 11%
- Employee benefits: 67%
- Insurance and risk management: 65%
- Banking/trust: 57%
- Accounting firms: 51%
- Computer/ IT services: 50%
- Advertising/ PR firms: 42%
- Corporate law firms: 38%
- Company either now offers or plans to offer an HMO or PPO plan: 47%
- Involved in their company's choice of health-care service providers: 44%
Telecommunications and technology:
- Involved with selecting Internet service providers and telecommunication services: 59%
- Company does or plans to business on the Internet: 64%
- Re-evaluate long-distance service yearly or when there is a perceived benefit in changing providers: 84%
- Company has used or plans to use an outside consulting firm: 58%
- 52% of subscribers plan to take, or consider taking, continuing-education courses to further their education and professional development.
- 58% work for companies that pay for their continuing education.
Business travel and corporate meetings:
- 48% report that their companies plan to hold a meeting or convention in North Carolina during the next three years.
- 33% influence their companies’ choice of meeting, convention and executive-retreat destinations.
- 35% make their own lodging and business-travel decisions.
- BNC subscribers averaged 16 nights in a hotel, motel or resort in the past twelve months.
Source: 2012 Lewis and Clark readership survey