Five NC hospitals recognized among nation's best
Five North Carolina hospitals achieved national rankings in at least one specialty on U.S. News & World Report's 2014-15 list of top medical centers. The news outlet evaluated nearly 5,000 hospitals in 16 specialties.
Duke University Hospital was ranked No. 14 overall and was the top-ranked hospital in North Carolina. The 957-bed hospital achieved national rankings in 13 adult specialties. It ranked No. 4 in Cardiology & Heart Surgery and No. 5 in Pulmonology in the United States.
Here are the rankings of the Best Hospitals in North Carolina:
1. Duke University Hospital, Durham (nationally ranked in 13 specialties: Cancer, Cardiology & Heart Surgery, Diabetes & Endocrinology, Gastroenterology & GI Surgery, Geriatrics, Gynecology, Nephrology, Neurology & Neurosurgery, Ophthalmology, Orthopedics, Pulmonology, Rheumatology, Urology)
2. Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, Winston-Salem (nationally ranked in 4 specialties: Cancer; Ear, Nose & Throat; Nephrology, Pulmonology)
3. University of North Carolina Hospitals, Chapel Hill (nationally ranked in 2 specialties: Cancer; Ear, Nose & Throat)
4. Carolinas Medical Center, Charlotte (nationally ranked in one specialty: Urology)
5. Mission Hospital, Asheville (nationally ranked in one specialty: Pulmonology)
To see how other North Carolina hospitals fared, click here.
Read how BNC ranked the state's top hospitals in our March 2014 issue: