Government

Commerce unveils plan for new job recruitment strategy

October 28, 2013

(The News & Observer, Raleigh)

N.C. Commerce Secretary Sharon Decker shared details of the state's new job recruitment strategy with a group of Triad business leaders last week. Department of Commerce workers in industrial recruiting, marketing and travel and tourism divisions will transfer to a new public-private nonprofit corporation beginning early next year.

State GOP leader helps McCrory recruit for government jobs

October 28, 2013

(The News & Observer, Raleigh)

The executive director of the N.C. Republican Party is helping Gov. Pat McCrory fill state government jobs by sending weekly notices to county GOP leaders advertising the open positions, a practice that some say raises concerns about the politicization of the government workforce. 

Buncombe precinct chair resigns after "Daily Show" appearance

October 25, 2013

(The News & Observer, Raleigh)

Don Yelton, member of the N.C. Republican Party and Buncombe County precinct chair, resigned that position yesterday following an appearance in a recorded segment on "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart." The state GOP found Mr. Yelton's racially charged comments in the five-minute segment, which focused on North Carolina's new election law, to be "completely inappropriate and highly offensive" and called for his resignation. 

Hagan wants to extend "Hire a Hero" bill

October 24, 2013

(The Charlotte Observer)

U.S. Sen. Kay Hagan spoke in Charlotte Wednesday to promote the bill known as "Hire a Hero," which gives businesses tax credits for hiring long-term unemployed veterans or those with service-related disabilities. The bill was originally passed in 2011,  but is set to expire at the end of 2013. Hagan wants to make the measure permanent.

Former state Commerce Secretary Crisco considers run for U.S. Congress

October 23, 2013

(The News & Observer, Raleigh)

Keith Crisco, former state Commerce Secretary under Gov. Beverly Perdue, says he is considering running for the Democratic nomination for the 2nd congressional district, challenging Republican Rep. Renee Ellmers. 

Tillis loans $250,000 to his own Senate campaign

October 23, 2013

(The News & Observer, Raleigh)

Thom Tillis reported last week he had raised over $1 million for his U.S. Senate campaign, the most among candidates running for the Republican nomination. His latest campaign report indicates $250,000 of the money came from a personal loan from the North Carolina House Speaker himself.

Boone businessman reactivates Citizens for Change PAC

October 23, 2013

(The Watauga Democrat)

A local business owner is reviving Citizens for Change, a political action committee he formed in 2006 in response to building regulations enacted by the Boone Town Council. Jeff Templeton, who owns a  Christian travel agency, reactivated the committee which has been inactive since 2009, to promote candidates it supports for the 2013 Boone municipal elections.

Gov. McCrory tells Washington group NC may be forced to expand Medicaid

October 22, 2013

(The News & Record, Greensboro)

Gov. Pat McCrory told a conservative policy group in Washington he may be forced to expand Medicaid in North Carolina. McCrory made the comment in a speech to the Heritage Foundation. A spokesman for the governor said he was referring to changes in Medicaid's "presumptive eligibility" rules which will give hospitals more leeway to include patients in Medicaid-eligible categories. 

AG Cooper shows he is ready to take on bigger leadership role in Raleigh

October 21, 2013

(The News & Observer, Raleigh)

Attorney General Roy Cooper has become more vocal in his opposition to the new Republican agenda in Raleigh, speaking to Democratic groups around the state and indicating he is planning for a gubernatorial run in 2016. Cooper says he can ensure attorneys from his office will defend changes such as new voter laws and the amendment banning gay marriage while he remains personally critical of them. 

Furloughed employees head back to work after federal shutdown ends

October 18, 2013

(The News & Observer, Raleigh)

With the federal government's shutdown over, about 2,200 workers from the state Department of Health and Human Services who had been furloughed or seen hours reduced returned to work full time on Thursday. Other smaller state agencies and the North Carolina National Guard, which had announced furloughs of 950 guard civilians and uniformed members, also got back to business as federal funds were restored.